Međugorje is one of the most famous Roman Catholic shrines in the world. It became popular after the apparition of Virgin Mary in 1981 which marked the beginning of religious tourism. Since then, this place in Herzegovina, along with Sarajevo is one of the most visited tourist centres in Bosnia and Herzegovina (around million catholic visitors from all over the world annually).

Unlike Marian shrine in Lourdes (France) that has become a real commercial paradise for the local caterers with its six million tourist believers per year, Međugorje still keeps its initial charm where pilgrims can find their peace in faith. Gathering centre in the shrine of Queen of Peace, as it’s officially called, is the church of St. James in the centre of the place.

During the roman period this area belonged to the County of Narona. The remains of the late antique basilica were found here. Međugorje is mentioned for the first time in historical documents in 1599 as an autonomous parish. The current parish was founded in 1892 and it was dedicated to St. James who is protector of pilgrims. The construction of the present parish church was finished in 1969 and it is dedicated to St. James of Zebedee. The first church was built in 1897 but after the First World War due to its instability it is unusable.

On the top of the Cross Mountain there is a cross built in remembrance of the 1900 years since the death of Jesus. On the cross is written: “To Jesus Christ, Redeemer of the human race, as a sign of their faith, love and hope, in remembrance of the 1900 years since the Passion of Jesus”.

After June 24 of 1981 when the apparitions of our Lady with Jesus began, different history has being written. Since that moment, Međugorje has begun to develop quickly offering to the pilgrims all necessary contents during their visit to this world popular shrine.